I tried to write a clever blog about something, well, clever. But all I could think about was lying down to take the most magnificent nap EVER. Yes. I love napping! Sometimes I even double up. I find too that I come up with my best song ideas while I’m in the space between being awake and drifting off into dream land. So I count it as ‘work’ sometimes and even schedule it into my day.
Some people think it’s hard to nap because by the time they fall asleep they have to wake up. I used to be one of those people until I learned the cardinal rules of napping.
1) Go to the washroom right before you lay down.
2) Wear something comfortable. Even if it’s your birthday suit.
3) Make sure you are at the correct temperature, wether it be adding blankets, taking some off, or adjusting the thermostat.
4) DON’T THINK ABOUT ANYTHING EXCITING!! If you find yourself thinking about a work problem or making ‘the list’ over and over again in your head. Then write it down IMMEDIATELY so you can stop thinking about it.
5) If step 4, which is the most important step is hindering nap time, meditate on a word or sentence. My favourites are ‘Breathe’ or ‘Don’t think, Just breathe.’
6) If Step 4 & 5 are not working, and those exciting thoughts are still getting to you. Remind yourself that you are a creature of habit. So whatever’s bothering you now will be there when you wake up. So put it on the shelf while you rest and can deal with it after you’ve charged up your batteries.
7) Allow yourself time for a nap. I prefer, 15 minutes to fall asleep, 1 hour sleeping,15 minutes to wake up.
8) When you are going to wake up. WAKE UP! Don’t lie there for another hour, that’s a surefire way to make yourself groggy and then you will have a hard time falling asleep at bedtime.
9) Have a cup of herbal tea, or a big glass of water to get yourself fully awake and avoid being drowsy for the rest of the day.
10) If you don’t have the time to nap, then take a half hour to do some deep stretches, or sit quietly and rest your eyes. This will leave you feeling equally as refreshed!
Well, I hope that helpzZZzzzzz……. ;)